Changing your Home Insurance – Easier than 123!

Caeva O'Callaghan | July 9th, 2015

It is so easy to change your home insurance broker or company and it can be done at any time during your insurance year. Since most house insurance policies don’t accumulate a no claims bonus, you don’t even have to wait until your home insurance policy is due for renewal.

How to change your home insurance in 123 steps:

  1. Call us on 0818 22 33 44 and our friendly, qualified professionals will run your details through our quotation system and give you’re the various quotes from ten different insurance companies.
  2. Choose the home insurance policy that suits you the best. Our professional staff will be able to give you advice on the various different policies and help you customise the best policy and cover for the lowest price.
  3. Buy your chosen home insurance policy from and save yourself a bundle of cash. Instruct your previous insurer or bank to cancel your policy.

House Insurance – the different components – as easy as 123:

Buildings Insurance

Buildings can be insured for fire only, fire and perils or for “all risks”. Fire only cover is generally provided if the house is vacant for 2 months or longer. Most policies are written on a fire and perils basis and the list of perils covered is quite extensive.

  • Fire, explosion, lightning, earthquake
  • Smoke
  • Storm or flood
  • Falling trees or branches
  • Falling aerials, masts, satellite dishes or security cameras
  • Impact by an aircraft, road or rail vehicle or animals
  • Subsidence, heave or landslip
  • Leaking or overflowing of water or oil
  • Trace and access to find the source of any oil or water leak
  • Loss of oil
  • Riot, civil unrest, vandalism or malicious acts
  • Breakage of glass
  • Accidental damage to service pipe, cables and underground tanks which service your home.

Contents Insurance

Contents are also insured for all of the above perils. Some policies are written on an accidental damage basis. This means that accidents to your contents are covered. Examples would include dropping a cup of tea over your laptop or a stray ball breaking the television or a Waterford glass lamp. The most important additional peril that is added to home contents insurance is theft cover. Theft cover is an important cover but there are a couple of things to watch out for when arranging your home insurance policy.

Most Home Insurance Companies allow discounts if you have a house alarm and a larger discount if your alarm system is connected to a central station. If you do not activate your alarm system every single time you leave your house (even if you are just running down to the shop) then I would think seriously whether you should avail of the alarm discount. The reason is that some insurance companies will avoid paying a theft claim if you do not have your alarm activated.

All Risks Insurance

All risks insurance is the most expensive component of your home insurance policy. You add all risks cover to specified items and they are covered for all risks everywhere in the world. Most people insure jewellery, watches, golf clubs and cameras for all risks.

Liability Insurances

Home Insurance Policies cover public, and personal liabilities as well as liability to domestic employees.

Now you know about all of the components that make up a house insurance policy, give us a call on 0818 22 33 44. Our qualified, professional and friendly team will talk you through the various policies and help you decide which policy suits you the best and at the lowest cost.

Changing your Home Insurance – it’s as easy as 123.

All Information in this post is accurate as of the date of publishing.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *