Car Insurance and Epilepsy

Car Insurance for People with Epilepsy

  • In Ireland, you will not be charged a higher car insurance premium because you have Epilepsy.
  • When you are seizure free for one year, you can get your driving license from the National Driving License Service.

Frequently Asked Questions

Will the cost of my car insurance go up if I have Epilepsy?

No. Since the Equality Act 2010 it is illegal for insurance companies to discriminate against people suffering from illnesses, including epilepsy.

How do I get my driving license back?

You must first get a Form from your doctor confirming that you are 1 year seizure free. This form is called a D501 Medical Report form and you can download it here. Once you have that, you may go to the Driving License Service and they will issue you with a 1 year driving license. Subsequently, if you remain seizure free you can then apply for a 3 year license. Once you are seizure free for 5 years you may obtain a 10 year driving license.

I only have seizures when I am sleeping. Can I drive?

Not until the pattern of your seizures occurring while you are asleep has been proved for a year. After a year, you will be able to obtain a license and drive.

My Doctor wants to reduce my medication. Can I drive?

Unfortunately not. When you start to reduce your anti-epileptic medication, you must stop driving and cannot start driving again until at least 6 months after you have stopped taking all anti-epileptic medication. Then, you must get the D501 Medical Form completed and signed by your doctor in order to get your driving license.

Can I learn to drive with Epilepsy?

In order to get a learner's permit, you will have to wait until you are at least 12 months seizure free and have your doctor complete the Medical Report Form. Once you have your learner's permit, you will be able to learn how to drive, get driving lessons and drive once you are accompanied by a full license holder.

What type of Vehicle can I drive?

You may drive any type of car, van or motorcycle. These are type 1 vehicles.

Useful Links