Beyond home insurance – 5 top tips for protecting your home
Caeva O'Callaghan | September 2nd, 2015
Yes, it’s great to know that your home is covered by home insurance. But there are steps you take on your own to prevent your home being burgled.
- Alarms and cctv: the last thing a burglar wants is a loud noise that alerts the neighbours. Alarms and cctv work as effective deterrents, especially when you place warning notices and signs on your property.
- Radio, lights and curtains: leaving a radio station on with more talk than music can confuse burglars by making them think that people are home having a conversation. You can also now buy timers that switch on the lights in various areas of your home. And counter-intuitively, burglars regard closed curtains are a sign that someone’s home.
- Small home safes: use your imagination to think up different ways of deploying small unobtrusive safes around your home for storing valuables, passports, cash, jewellery and keys.
- Locks: even though most home insurance policies stipulate a minimum level of security, you can enhance your chances of keeping burglars at bay by installing extra security for your windows, doors and french windows.
- Ultraviolet marking: you can increase the chances of recovering stolen items by using ultraviolet marking that contains your personal identifying information.